Wednesday, August 1, 2012

THE WINTER GARDEN




Since the equinox the sun has been slowly climbing into the sky and the garden beds which have been laying dormant and in shadow are slowly being bathed in the new sunlight.

The winter garden has been productive.  I have had a good crop of snow peas, lettuce, spring onions, silverbeet, spinach,  coriander, carrots, beetroot, rocket and parsley.
The snow peas were very successful.  From a limited planting we have a quite a good crop - how delicious are these peas when freshly picked and eaten.

Spinach and coriander
Spinach and Coriander

Last week the seeds arrived in the post from Diggers and along with these and the seeds from last season I look forward to the sowing and planting.

I have three varieties of cucumber.  A pickling variety called Parisian Pickling which are small and knobbly like the ones found in jars in delicatessens.  A Lebanese variety for general eating and an heirloom type called Mexican Sour Gherkin which is a micro sized climbing variety which is supposed to taste both sweet and sour.  The test on this one will be in the tasting.

Two types of lettuce.  A Baby Cos and another called Crispmint.  I hope I can succeed in a succession planting scheme.  I usually buy my lettuce seedling from the man at Wollongong Markets (Patio Plants).  His seedlings are very reliable and you can mix and match what you want.  I will buy my eggplant from him as I usually only need about three or four seedlings for our needs.

I will also be planting a different variety of beetroot called Cylindra which as the name implies is elongated  and good for closer spacing.

If I have room I also want to plant Scarlet Runner beans.  I haven't had great success with beans in the past so I will just try, try again.



In the winter garden the Persimmon is still asleep but will slowly awaken and put forth little buds.




Perimmon and Lavender
Persimmon and Lavender




The Fuchsias are in bed with the Primulas and the Lobelia.


Primulas and Fuchsia
Primulas in bed with the Fuchsia











Lobelia and Fuchsia
Lobelia in bed with the Fuchsia



The work of fertilizing and replenishing
beds will begin in earnest soon and I look forward to all the work.

Guava in wine barrel
Guava in wine barrel
Lemon tree
Garden looking through Lemon tree

No comments:

Post a Comment