Thursday, August 16, 2012

MY COLLECTIONS

Collecting things is a terrible disease.  You start off with a few things and then you buy more and more until it starts to get out of hand.  You know you are not the only person with this disease when you try and buy something you like on ebay and are met with a competitive fury which outdoes the polititicans of the land.  The "others", as I will refer to them use all sorts of devices to outdo you when it comes to bidding.  The experts use sniping devices - hanging around to the last second to bid - or buying software to snipe for them when they aren't around.

I can't be bothered anymore with this.  I just put my maximum bid in near the end and leave it at that.  If it works it works if not then I have saved myself some money.

I do love my little objects but that is all they are.  They sit there and and I look at them and remark how lovely they are to myself and then walk away.  I am getting to the point that I will only buy something if I really, really want it, which is now rarely.  Anyway, here they are. 

glass cabinet
Click once to enlarge photo


Here is one of my cabinets.  It has 4 shelves jam packed with stuff.  I will highlight my collection of kookaburra and other jugs.  These are made by my favourite post war Japanese manufacturer, Marutomoware.  Not all of them are made by Marutomoware but the majority are.


Marutomoware Kookaburra jugs


My absolute favourite Marutomoware are the ones with little kookaburras and gum nuts on them.  These are just gorgeous but totally impractical.  I once put water in one jug to put flowers in and it leaked.  As they used to say in the 60's - if it is made in Japan then it was cheap and nasty.  Of course Japanese manufacture has come a long way since then to be taken over by the Chinese.  I haven't come across any Chinese kitsch that I like yet but I am sure the next generation of collectors will find it.


Glass cabinet


This is another lovely little cabinet.  It is all lead light and totally impractical - just the way I like them.  This cabinet has my little vintage childrens tea sets and Marutomoware juicers and juicers by others that I love.


Nell McCredie
Top shelf children sea sets middle shelf Nell McCredie tea set

The blue tea set is by Nell McCredie - Australian potter (1901-1968).

The next picture showcases my favourite Marutomoware pieces with the little kookaburras and gum leaves.


Marutomoware


I haven't taken a picture of the whole cabinet just that one shelf.  On top of this particular cabinet are examples of my frog jug collection.


Frog jugs


Next is my latest (and hopefully) last glass cabinet which actually contains predominantly glass objects.  A lot of this stuff belonged to my Mother and I am very fond of them.

Glass cabinet


It also has (on the left) more Marutomoware this time honey jars with gorgeous little bees on them, plus a frog and other cruet sets.  The bottom shelf are my Mother's pieces I inherited.

sailing ships


I just had to show you the mirror with the sailing ship on the wall with the sailing ship I got from a $2 shop - I think this was probably made in China, so there goes I do have some modern Chinese kitsch.

2 comments:

  1. I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us.
    visit page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for appreciating my collections. Sincerely, Vicki

      Delete