Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Socrates Cafe - NOWRA

Went to Nowra yesterday for lunch.  Met a friend from Bateman's Bay (as you do).  We were supposed to dine at an Indian Restaurant Kohlis but unfortunately it was closed for lunch.  Lesson learned always check beforehand. 

Nevermind, we ended up at Socrates Cafe - 26 Berry Street - instead.  They have an extensive menu of wraps, salads, soup etc.  At one of the tables we saw this couple having a beautiful mezze plate.  We asked if they made it for 3 people and the man and woman eating theirs said that it is plenty of food for 3 and the waitress agreed.

I am only sorry I didn't take my camera with me to photograph the mezze plate it is quite beautiful.   Little bowls of taramasalata, hummus and garlicky yoghurt dip surrounded by black olives, vine leaves, grilled and pickled beans and zucchini, artichoke hearts, semi-dried tomatoes, pickled small stuffed eggplant halves, mushrooms, grilled haloumi, slices of ham and salami with lovely small triangles of Lebanese bread and bread slices which had been baked with olive oil (I think).  It really was enough for three and delicious.  It was quite salty but I didn't have a raging thirst afterwards.

I didn't drink the coffee so I cant tell you what it was like but the milkshake I shared with my husband was lovely (not too sweet) and served in a chilled milk shake container with two glasses.  My friend had water. 

The service was very friendly and laid back. 

I would recommend this cafe.  Friday nights also look good with different treats liked grilled octopus.  I only wish they were nearer to Wollongong.

No comments:

Post a Comment